Turkey releases images of nightclub shooting suspect
Authorities have published a "selfie video" taken by the alleged gunman who killed nearly 40 people at an Istanbul club on New Year's Eve. The suspect was able to flee on foot and is still on the run, dw.com reports.
Turkish media released images of a man suspected of killing 39 people at a New Year's Eve party in an Istanbul nightclub on Tuesday. The footage includes a "selfie video" allegedly taken by the suspect himself in Taksim Square, as well as surveillance images.
The gunman has not been yet been identified, but multiple local media reports said he was believed to be from a Central Asian country or a member of China's Muslim Uighur minority. Newspapers said that he had possibly arrived in the Turkish city of Konya with his wife and two children, and that his family had been detained.
The Hurriyet daily also reported that the assailant had fought with "Islamic State" (IS) jihadists in Syria and demonstrated expert knowledge of the weapons used in the shooting at the Reina nightclub.
Romanian national injured in London attack, hospitalised in serious medical state
23 Mar 2017 • 10:45
17:59President Klaus Iohannis rejects two proposed Ministers and states that he finds them inappropriate for the position
16:03The Union of Free Subway workers announced a general strike. The underground traffic will be stopped